This lesson plan focuses on our world has a lot of different plants. There are indoor plants, outdoor plants, trees, and flowers. Where a plant grows is called plant biomes. When I studied plants with the boys, both of whom have ADHD, there were so many books, and lesson plans, and stuff to cover that it was simply overwhelming. When I broke down the botany lessons into 5 separate goals that made my life a lot easier. Their hyperactive ADHD wasn’t going to be OK with sitting for long so I split the lessons up into fifteen minute sections. This is Part 4 of a 5 part series, “Botany for Beginners – An Introduction to the Science of Plants“. Teaching homeschool science can be difficult but it doesn’t have to be. By using this lesson, which is geared towards children ages 4 – 7 years old, you can learn about plants alongside your child. These science games, science videos, science worksheets, and science books explores the concept that our world has a lot of different plants. As you and your child, or children, enjoy these exercises help them to make the connections and make observations. This would also be a great time to visit a conservatory, public gardens, or even plant your own garden! Let us know how you used this lesson or how you added your own special touch to it in the comments below.
Indoor Plants – Outdoor Plants – Biomes
In the winter we bundle up to stay warm. As the weather gets warmer we take off our layers. People who live in the southern United States don’t have to wear as many layers as people in the North. As we travel from place to place we change, or adapt our clothes to suit the weather and the season. Plants are the same way. Different kinds of plants grow in different environments. There are many different kinds and sizes of plants, too. Trees are different depending on where they grow. There are deciduous or evergreen trees. Let’s take a listen to our beloved Professor P. and see what he has to say about the subject! (The activities are below.) These activities explore these concepts!
— VIDEOS —
Plants and their environments The Great Plant Hunt – Discovers Plant Habitat and adaptation
— ONLINE GAMES —
- MBGNet.net: Click on the different biomes, there are 8 of them, to see what plants live there.
- Smithsonian National Zoo: Use your eyes, ears, and nose to explore a virtual forest teeming with life! Conduct field research using the same scientific tools that Smithsonian scientists use to monitor forest biodiversity.
- HarcourtSchool.com: Plants live in different biomes. Click on the map to learn about the different kinds and what plants live there.
- Miracle-Gro: (not shown) Activities, fun facts, and recipes
— BOOKS —
- Plants in Different Habitats (Nature’s Changes)
- OLIVIA Plants a Garden (Olivia TV Tie-in)
- A Tree Is a Plant (Let’s-Read-and-Find-Out Science)
- Little Labs Plant Science
- Learning About Plants
This is part 3 of a 5 part series “Botany for Beginners“.
Have you see our “Science: Botany For Beginners” Pinterest board?